Preschool Wonders Preschool Wonders Facebook Bloglovin Instagram Pinterest About Me My Classroom My Store Freebies Image Map





Sunday, July 14, 2013

Manic/Made It Monday!

I am linking up again with Tara from 4th Grade Frolics for her Monday Made It.
I saw this pin last week from Pre-K Pages and knew I wanted to do something like it with my little learners.
Many of my sweeties are just working on name recognition at the beginning of the year and most don't know the letters in their name.  We work on putting the letters of our names in order a lot!  So I headed out to look for pool noodles {not such an easy feat since many stores are moving from summer items to school supplies}.  I found some, but had to go to more than one store to get different colors.
I happened to have these, but you could use index cards, cut up sentence strips, etc.
I followed the instructions from Pre-K Pages and cut the pool noodle to the desired length and then cut it in half.
I then cut a slit on the rounded top, leaving about 2" at each end uncut.
I wrote a letter of my name on separate cards.  
For my sweeties who don't know how to spell their names yet, I provide a visual by writing their names on a sentence strip.  They will then match the letters and insert the cards in the slit in order at the top of the noodle.  Ta da!
I then began thinking about other things to do with the pool noodles.  Of course, they would be great fine motor practice to string.  To add more of a challenge, little ones could make a pattern. 
I came up with this simple patterning page.  Little ones can string a pattern and then color the pattern on the page.  
If you would like a copy of the patterning page, click HERE
Thanks for reading!  Have a great day.  :)

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

7 comments:

  1. LOVE this idea! I am working with my son with recognizing his name, going to have to make this with him.

    Jess
    I {Heart} Recess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't show this part but if your son is just starting to match letters of his name you could write each letter on a different color of card and tape it together or glue on a sentence strip as the model to match the individual cards!

      Delete
  2. That looks wonderful! My Dollar Tree has a ton of pool noodles in store right now - this would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up on Dollar Tree! I am going to check it out today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a simple, yet effective teaching tool for the little ones! Thanks for sharing :)

    Christine
    Preslar's Place

    ReplyDelete
  5. What another AWESOME way to use pool noodles!!! Thanks for the freebie and the idea! :)
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. How creative! I can see how little ones would see this activity as appealing to their little hands. :) Thanks for sharing!
    Kristen
    Aspire to Inspire

    ReplyDelete